Saturday, January 5, 2013

One is half-way to Two: 39 weeks


Last Sunday, well Monday technically, Pat and I had our first trip to the hospital triage room. I had been having contractions regularly for an hour and twenty minutes. They were right on par with the 5-1-1 ratio they teach you in the birthing class. So I did what I thought I should do and I called the doctor. I felt terrible that it was 2 am, but the on call doctor told me to go to the hospital. So we did.

We were hooked up to the monitors, then checked - not dilated - and sent home at 3:30 am.

The contractions stopped and have not been regular since. Unless you count them waking me up at 4:30 am every day regular. 'Cause that does feel pretty damn regular. I wish someone would tell you that... that you can have regular contractions that start and stop. I thought once they started like that, there was no turning back.

The following Wednesday was my next scheduled doctor's appointment. My doctor asked if I wanted to be checked again. I really do appreciate him asking me because honestly, that hurts like an S.O.B. and it takes me a day + to recover. But, this time I did say yes. I was curious to know if these contractions were doing anything other than waking me up and teaching me how to breath. Now, if I have the choice, I will not be checked. If I am in labor, then I will know it. Maybe.

"You are at one centimeter," he said.

After he left the room, Pat smiled at me and said "One centimeter is half way to two!" I smiled back at him wondering who told him to say that. He really has been saying all the right things that make me feel better during these last few weeks. For that I am SO grateful.

I am really getting uncomfortable and anxious and have no desire to talk about my due date. Strangers ask me all the time now and usually I just say "tomorrow." Not because I am being curt, but because I really do want it to be tomorrow. And in the case of this early morning, I want it to be today. I want to to have been yesterday.

This whole pregnancy people have said that I won't make it to my due date. Now that the 15th is fast approaching, the anxiety that I will pass it is coming on strong. Pat and I have been taking walks, and I have been sitting on the birthing ball and bouncing around like crazy. Maybe this is causing all the crazy irregular contractions I have been having but I just don't know what else to do.

And as for this nesting thing, it is so far from my mind. I have been nesting for the last 8 months. All I want to do now is lay on the couch or in bed and sleep. There is 0.0 urge to nest. But I would like to take down the Christmas tree. And the Christmas lights. I am starting to feel like Gretchen Wilson up in here.


Currently

Craving: Sour Punch Straws - The blue flavored ones (another topic for another day)
Avoiding: Thinking, talking, referring to my due date
Ailments: Contractions of the irregular kind
Sleep: Enjoying what I am getting
Weight: 155
Favorite thing about being pregnant: Knowing my body knows what to do to prepare itself for labor
Least favorite thing: can't say... TMI

No comments: