Tuesday, January 8, 2013

39 weeks still

We went to the doctor today for my 39 week check up. What seemed like a normal appointment started with what I thought was a back spasm. When my sweet nurse called my named she looked at me and said, " You aren't having a contraction are you?" I assured her I wasn't and that it was just a spasm. She simply said "That's called a contraction." I stand corrected.

She took my blood pressure and asked if I was nervous. I wasn't. So she took us into the exam room and took it again. Again, she asked if I was nervous. I laughed and said I had nothing to be nervous about. 2 more times she took it just to be safe. It was 132/80. I have been at a constant 120 through out the pregnancy. The doctor was slightly concerned and he wants to see me again on Friday so they can monitor my increase in blood pressure and see if they need to induce me, for fear of preeclampsia.

While the doctor was measuring my ever growing belly he said, "You have a nice big boy in there."
"How big?" I asked, terrified of his answer.
"I'd say eight pounds."

OMG

This is not what I had in mind at all. I was thinking a nice 7.2 lb baby. But 8 lbs. My jaw literally dropped and I immediately looked at Pat with fear. We have a whole week of growing ahead of us! He could weigh more that that!

Additionally, I am still only dilated to one centimeter. I know that doesn't mean anything, but it doesn't feel encouraging either.

So now I am getting nervous. Maybe nothing is going to go according to plan. I don't have a crazy birth plan, but being induced isn't one of the things on it. I am also scared that maybe he will be too big now to come down the birth canal, so then I would have to get a c section-also not in my plan.

I thought the scariest thing about having the baby was the pain of labor, but now, it is certainly the not knowing how things will progress, if I am going to labor on my own or need an induction. There are just too many unknowns today.

...
I came home from work today to a relaxing candlelit bath, chocolate milk and a movie on my iPad. Now I am resting in bed trying not to stress, and willing my blood pressure to regulate itself.

I will let you know on Friday how it goes.

No comments: