Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Last Weekend

This past weekend was a blast! Even though I was post-endoscopy and missed all of Friday night I was still able to enjoy the rest of the weekend. Saturday morning after I got home from work we jumped in the car and headed with our guests, The Eckles, to Tortilla Flats, AZ.
Tortilla Flats is a grand place... building.
You see, Pat has refused to take me there for the last 3 years because it is his job to drive that route on a weekly basis. (Ask me to go to the mall I work at and I will happily join you). So, finally we had guests here that wanted to sight-see and, finally, he could no refuse me! We drove the winding road to Canyon Lake and then Tortilla Flats.

First stop: Deep Valley/Car Dump

Photobucket

When Joe decided to pull over to look at a ravine I jumped out of the back seat like the car was on fire. You have no idea how grateful I was for this stop. I am prone to get very car sick, and I was still reeling from my very recent stomach violation, so this car sickness was not a surprise on this trip. I mean, I WAS in the back seat and all.

Second stop: Canyon Lake


This is a little lake made from the SRP dams, but damn it is nice to see water, even if it is lukewarm. (BTW we totally have our pose down right?)

Third stop: Back SRP Road
 

On the secret back road to the SRP dam you can only go so far on via car. But, we were with an experienced driver who knew how to navigate the tricky roads. Until we got to the "No trespassing" sign. So what did we do? We drove back a few 100 yards and we got out and walked. On our journey to see this "river" Pat told us about, we saw countless jumping cholla and snake holes. No snakes though, thank God. Michelle was wearing flip-flops and was a champ navigating the rocky terrain. (I did not mean to have this be a black and white photo when it was taken, but it looks pretty epic, no?)

Finally: Tortilla Flats, AZ

Photobucket
I forgot to take a picture of the restaurant so...   via

Photobucket

When we arrived I was sure there would be a little bit of a wait, so I ran to the bathroom. I walked in, and, to my dismay, there were only half doors, and these doors had provocatively dressed ol' time Western Women's' bodies painted on them. You know, so you can pose and it looks like it is your body with your head. Really, you can imagine my surprise when a little old Amish woman popped her head up when I tried opening her stall door. How the heck are you supposed to know someone is in there for cryin' out loud!? She giggled, I blushed and we went on our way. By the time I got back to the group to tell my tale, we were ready to be seated.
We were seated in a stuffy back part of the restaurant and the folks behind us forgot to wear their deodorant. (Not that I am one to talk, but I don't stink... I don't think). The food was good enough for 4 starving people and the beer was served in mason jars. That automatically adds another star, right?  There was money from all over the world covering EVERY inch of that restaurant, other than the floor. The thought was there to take a dollar or two, but the karmic retribution would be too much I am sure!

All in all, it was a great weekend full of wine, laughter and corn hole.

2 comments:

bri kim said...

I did not know these places even existed. How come you guys never take us anywhere? is this a whites only thing? Geez pat is so racist!!

Emmy Kim said...

Blah ha ha ha! We leave for these places much too early for you.... Around 11 am. Can you get up that early?